Community Transport

There are a number of schemes to help those with mobility problems to get around more easily.


If you have a permanent or long-term disability which means you are unable to use public transport some or all of the time you may be eligible to join the Dial-a-Ride scheme.

You are automatically eligible for membership if you are:

  • A Taxicard member
  • Getting the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance
  • Getting the Standard or Enhanced Mobility Rate of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Registered blind or partially sighted
  • Aged 85 or over
  • Getting a Higher Rate Attendance Allowance
  • Getting a War Pension Mobility Supplement

If none of the above apply to you, you may still be able to join Dial-a-Ride but you will have to undergo a paper-based mobility assessment to establish your eligibility for the service.

WRVS Community Transport
Royal Voluntary Service in London can help older people – over-55 – maintain their independence and stay involved in the local community.

They have volunteers across London who offer help and support so older people can stay independent at home. For more information just ask! Call them or click here and they’ll be in touch.